The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Round 3 - Cats swooped by the Hawks ...

The Real K-Lenko and myself looked quite happy to be at Kardinia Park after yesterday's match, but nothing could be further from the truth. While I enjoyed the company of many friends and many more beers yesterday, the result was far from flattering. The Geelong boys could have been accused of reading too much of their own press, including the rave reviews on this here blog, but they were thoroughly embarrassed yesterday by a much hungrier Hawthorn outfit. Too bad that I was probably too intoxicated to remember that much of it. This is perhaps a good thing.

A pair of slacks, a collared shirt and an additional $30 were required to watch the match in the comfortable confines of the social club, a mecca for any Geelong fan. But I knew it was going to be a bad day when I was the only dude wearing a pair of beige pants compared with the other gents wearing black suits. Like the team I went to support, I may have underestimated what was needed to excel at an elite level.

It was just as well I had consumed eight pots before the end of the first quarter because this effort could not be consumed on an empty stomach. Luckily, I had also lined my belly with the free pizza that was supplied out the front of the stadium by Domino's (yes, another shamless plug). It was quite chilly outside, so the rather large group, a mixture of Geelong and Hawthorn fans, decided to watch the game through glass windows from inside the social club. I felt for Poppa Blog, minus soup and other creature comforts, who went to the game and braved the elements with Han Solo. In other words, he was by himself. Trust me to mess with a winning formula.

The esteemed broadsheet's headline was Hawks turn on goal blitz with the final score reading Hawthorn 15.11 (101) to Geelong 6.13 (49). As you can see to the right, I was far from impressed. But the Rayman and Tinsel Tone were wrapt, rubbing their hands with glee. There can only be one winner. After the game, we consumed more beer at St Mary's Football Club and the Lamby's tent behind the Doug Wade Stand before KL and I went to join some others at Lord Of The Isles. I decided to pull up stumps soon after, buying burgers from Red Rooster and later Hungry Jack's (the Australian version of Burger King) before cabbing it home and falling asleep on the couch. Like Geelong's performance yesterday, it's still a mystery as to how I changed into my pyjamas after such a huge day.

In other news, I'm baffled at the number of anonymous blog postings as of late. I'd like to think Trent Croad is a regular visitor to the site, but I highly doubt it. I collared the District Attorney about them, but he has strenously denied all responsibility and as of yet no charges have been laid. Curiosity may have killed the cat and it's eating away at me currently. Where, or more importantly, who are you?

So, apart from the game, I've kept this holiday weekend relatively low key. The highlights have been sitting on the couch to watch The O.C. marathon, helping out the parents with general chores and catching up with the family for dinner just moments ago. I hope you and your loved ones have had a safe and happy Easter!

8 Comments:

  • At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep on guessing, but on Saturday it wasn't curiosity that killed your beloved cats...it was the Hawks.

    For now I will put your mind at some ease and say I am a more regular visitor than you think...and will be visiting your nightmares even more. Until next time

    TC

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    JB, what do you think you're doing changing winning form this early in the session, leaving Popa Blog in those winning seats alone!

    Well, the Cats (some might say) are back in form, losing to the teams they SHOULD beat.

    I must say that I was looking forward, on this long weekend Monday, to heading down to the Slug and Lettuce in Fulham (were the 2005 Grand Final was watched) to catch this week’s replay of the Cats, needless to say, I think I'll find something else to do now.

    So, the unbeaten Doggies next week will be interesting to say the least, we need this one boys and girls, so I hope your out there supporting the (not so) mighty Cats.

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Trent Croad hey? He's a pretty boy, so dont be worrying.

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    loved the drinks counting!

    knackers knackerson

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Jay Bee said…

    Knackers Knackerson?

    Oh, c'mon!

    JB

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nothing wrong with drinks counting!

    Ken Ackers

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    now jb. i hope you're not getting all excited by the cats and forgetting that safety is number one.
    be very careful of your vocal chords while at the footy, and be extra careful you don't have too much to drink at cat park and go home with some toothless fiftysomething geelong slapper. actually, at least if you forgot her birthday there's a chance she might have forgotten too.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blank

     

Post a Comment

<< Home