The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Music is my religion, for I am iPod god ...

Thanks for that crazy moniker, Kass. But if I am iPod god, what does that make my father, Poppa Blog, who deleted all of the songs from his magical musical device this evening? That's sort of why I'm here, putting the songs back on his portable jukebox as I update this here blog, not that there's much to fill you in with. On a musical sidenote, I was listening to The Postal Service today in the car on the way home and Poppa Blog said they sounded good. I'm not as sure about his taste in music however, as I'm about to put a Bette Midler CD on his iPod as we speak. She makes me cringe.

I returned from that desert oasis known as Mildura this morning after two days on assignment. I like the remoteness of the place: Sydney is more than 1,000 kilometres away, Adelaide 400 kilometres and mighty Melbourne around 600 kilometres. I forgot to take my camera, which was a shame, as all those destinations were on street signs - the blog has been devoid of pictures (with me in them) as of late. I crossed the Murray River and went to New South Wales for a bit but I really liked Mildura, despite the circumstances I was sent there to cover. The place, quite frankly, has seen better days.

I went to the funeral for the last of the six teenagers who were killed in a hit-run collision a couple of weekends ago. It was pretty sad and I found myself tearing up on a few occasions. It was interesting that the service ended with the song, Forever Young - not the new version by Youth Group, but what was probably the original. I love that song and the show that I heard it on, The OC. What else do I love? When the much-maligned Kent Kingsley kicks nine goals - straight - and leads Geelong to victory, albeit in the pre-season. Against Carlton. I also love going out to dinner when the company pays.

Life does suck sometimes, but then you find yourself at the funeral of a kid who was way too young to die and was so unfairly taken from a world where she had so much fun and touched many lives despite only being here for 16 years. I could tell you more, but this article by a reporter at the esteemed broadsheet pretty much sums it up. I apologise for the shameless self-promotion, but it goes to show you should be thankful of having another day to live. You just never know how much time you've got.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think Forever Young is Bob Dylan.

    And be thankful - right now I am listening to the Hooley Dooleys, care of my 2.5 year old nephew.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Stephens said…

    I know Rod Stewart did the song at some point. He reminds me of a rooster.

    You blog has taken a dreary turn this last posting, but I can't give you a hard time, since you are actual posting SOMETHING, unlike your's truly. Hopefully I score some good pics in upcoming adventures and get back to things.

    Cheers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home