The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Sunday, January 22, 2006

JB and the Fatman ...










It was around a year ago that I embarked on a life-long commitment. No, I wasn't getting married, but I rather began the journey to lose weight. Jumping on the scales at more than 120kgs in 2004, I thought it was about time that I followed a phrase that I wrote on the back of a business card some time ago: "Realise Your Potential". Three easy words that are sometimes not so easy to carry out. Well, 2005 was a watershed year for me with all the travelling I did, but I also managed to lose the weight and keep it off, despite a steady diet of beer, burritos and burgers whilst I was abroad. When I returned I was around 105kgs.

Anyway, today is a landmark day. I went to the gym in the blazing 43C degree heat (my fellow Americans, that's around 110F) and I came out just before weighing 99.1kgs! It's really the first time I have broken the 100kg mark! The shrinking reporter has just got smaller. I love working out and I can really see the results. I'm also continuing to keep a daily diary that monitors my weight, exercise and diet.

I don't need any reminding of how I used to look and publishing these ghastly images will probably kill off any chance I may have had with the ladies who read this here blog, which were taken around mid-2004. At that time I had - in the words of Rogan Josh - coloured hair that looked similar to the clip-on headpieces belonging to the male citizens of Legoland. Nonetheless, I thought it was an important time to reflect on how far I have come. I'm pretty close to my ideal weight of 95kgs.

Not much else going on here at JB HQ. Work has been going pretty well. Sticking with the tennis theme, I have been hanging out at the Australian Open at Melbourne Park writing a few colour stories for the event. I met two-time champion, Jim Courier, and doubles king, Todd Woodbridge for a story I wrote on tennis entourages. Housesitting at Cameroon and K-Beezer's house ended last week and I went to cricket with them on Friday. We had a lot of fun yelling at the players, in particular Boony and Stuart Clark. Here's me and the mischevious Beez. I don't who that guy is next to her. It's certainly not Cameroon, I know that. I'm also taking tomorrow off to run a few errands and hopefully see Pittsburgh get into Super Bowl XL. Go Steelers!

Whilst housesitting I got involved in a very, very, very minor prang in Poppa Blog's automobile. I also inadvertently broke one of the sliding doors in my room after a book got caught in between the doors. And at my sister's wedding I met a nice lady who went to live near London this past week for a while. Needless to say, I haven't had much luck with cars, cupboards or chicks lately!

3 Comments:

  • At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are definitely looking the goods my friend, the girls will definitely be taking a second look.

    And I am way jealous about your meeting Jim Courier. I spent 2 days there last week and not a sighting - I think he is the best thing in commentating since sliced bread.

    Kass

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ha ha sliced bread hasn't commentated since the infamous 1930 wimbledon campaign of weary 'dunlop' volley. who knew his sponsors (with an irreverent but engaging logo) would later invade much of europe and bring disgrace upon her people - and dunlop.

    I reckon even JC (not the BIG JC, rather JA's mate) has a thing or two to learn from our strapping (disappearing) reporter - look at that swing. plus the JB, unlike JC knows better than swimming inthe yarra.

    game, set and match for the ladies.

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger m said…

    Get in my BELLY! No seriously, looks like you've made some progress. Amazing, considering all the beer. Same thing with me this summer. Subsiding on a diet of hamburgers, burritos, beer, and whiskey, I still managed to lose nearly 30 pounds. It's all about the bicycles for me. Not eating "fat kid treats" (cookies, etc) helps as well. As my friend Jon would say, "Don't be TOLL HOUSE."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home