The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Round 4 - A Dog day afternoon for the Cats ...

To know frustration is to be a Geelong fan. Cousin Davis and his new (siamese) twin, the District Attorney, who is a Collingwood fan, joined me at the phone booth yesterday to watch a heart-breaker. Notice the boys trudge off in the background? Rather than go into depth about the match, please read the match report instead. The pain is too much to go through again and I'm quite enjoying my lazy Sunday afternoon anyway. I've also got to get ready for G-Squared's engagement party. The final score was Western Bulldogs 14.14 (98) to Geelong 14.13 (97). Yes, a heartbreaker.

Walking back to the car from Telstra Dome yesterday, I was thinking what I could do as a Geelong fan to help my team get across the line and I came up with this winning formula: When I sit with Poppa Blog in our seats at K-Park and we consume tomato soup, we win by more than 10 goals. It's pretty simple, except to think the next game at Skilled Stadium isn't until May 27, for the Round 9 clash with Richmond. We could be 2-6 by then!

I knew the day got off to a bad start when we got to Melbourne and my beloved York Cafe was not due to open for another 20 minutes. Running out of time, we decided to get some over-priced foccacias served by some Fabio look-a-like at a nearby cafe. Anyway, we went back past York and they were open, so I got some famed Singapore noodles, with cashews, to go. The day was seemingly back on track. But then we went to the footy. A good afternoon ruined, although it was good to catch up with that dynamic duo and a colleague from work.

For a guy who has been watching his weight, the last week has been a blowout. But then I go and surprise myself by spending a couple of hours at the gym today to later weigh in at under 100 kegs. Yesterday, I also enjoyed a Whopper value meal, supreme nachos, a jam donut and beer at the footy, as we watched Geelong bumble, fumble and ultimately stumble. After such a promising start, one thinks it could be a long season. And to think I persuaded Cousin Davis to buy a membership. The guy might be permanently scarred.

Rivjuando e-mailed me the other day and said: "Looks like their's a lot of footy in your life these days." Well, apart from the footy and the long commute to and from work, there hasn't been much else. But I am going to Sydney on Thursday in a few days for, you guessed it, more football and some general sightseeing. Hopefully I'll have something else to report on then.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I support Davis' form in supporting the CATS and the District Attorney decision to go and watch a REAL team play!

    Anyway, the Cats form is a little disappointing, but we can only improve with the return of a few key players, but the boys need to step up.

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger m said…

    So, when an Aussie goes to Sydney...is that comparable to an American "going to the city". Sort of like a visit to Chicago or New York?

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger Jay Bee said…

    Marcus,
    I live in Geelong and work in Melbourne, which can be compared to living in Salem (which I've done) and travelling to Portland on a regular basis.

    In a rough sense, Salem has 120,000 people to Geelong's 200,000. Portland has 1.5 million to Melbourne's 3.5 million. There's about an hour of travelling in between.

    Sydney is Australia's biggest metropolitan city, with up to 5 million. Considering there's only 20 million people living in Australia (minus Cousin Slugg), the majority live in either Sydney or Melbourne. About 90 per cent of the population live within an hour of the coast.

    JB

     
  • At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why do I get the feeling that you are comfort eating? I guess it's ok when your team loses by 1 point... sensitive little bunny that you are JB.

    At least Melbourne posted a win. Woo hoo!! Finally!!

     
  • At 4:28 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hi Jamie,

    Looks like you are having fun over under there. You should come back to visit again. Thirsty Thursday is up and roaring again!

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that'll learn you for being too excited about being 2-0 after 2 rounds. Not that my lot are performing so well themselves, I am wondering if this might be a long season.

    Nice to see Davis and the DA again - must be time for a proper catch up with you all.

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger Stephens said…

    Hoss,

    I am desperate to find that "against all odds" cover by,... was it Chris Walla? Or Death Cab? I can't remember, but I had the track and now I lost it and I can't find it. Help a bro out.

    FYI, new beer bottling this weekend. This one is tentatively called "The Inseminator", due to some unchecked vulgarity during the pitching of the magical yeast.

    Cheers to beers.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello ......... Hello ...........
    No Round 5 review, is the band wagon slowing down.

    Random thought - JB you might enjoy the Sports Business Radio (via iTunes) podcast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home