The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Rounds 5 and 6 - Hardly time for not-so-funny subject lines ...

You didn't think I was going to blog on about every Geelong game I've been to this year, did you?

Well, until last Friday's game, there wasn't much to write about on the footy front. As you will read below, Geelong put the finishing touches on a four-game losing streak. And yes, I saw every game. I even travelled interstate to watch them. Ouch!

Apologies for the lateness of my entry. You would have also thought that coming up on the one year anniversary of The Life And Times Of JB (May 31) that things would have become more efficient. Sadly not.

Anyway, blink and you might miss them. Here are the, um, highlights of two rather forgettable weeks of footy:

Round 5 and it was all about Geelong's Swan dive. Yes, JB went to Sydney. Or rather the western suburbs of the harbour city. It might have been a different state but the result was the same. Some Sydney-based fans of this once proud club from my old hood of South Melbourne simply have no idea about Australian football or the etiquette one should display when attending a game. The young kids (you know, the ones the AFL are apparently targeting) love nothing more than rubbing it in your face when your team is several goals down. It's hard to think how the league is going to attract more people to games in this rugby league stronghold when the cheapest ticket was $33. There were a surprising number of Geelong fans and I met a couple of them on the long train ride out to Homebush where we took part in a little bit of beer appreciation. There was simply not much to appreciate about the Cats, save for Brad Ottens' marvellous mark and that glorious goal from Gary Ablett Junior. Final score? Sydney 15.17 (107) defeated Geelong 13.7 (85). A flattering scoreline if you read this match report.

Round 6 and it was again pure hell as Melbourne demonised Geelong. I was in the more familiar surrounds of the MCG following my Sydney sojourn, albeit with a new crew. To my left is The J-Man, a work colleague of mine who is a mad Melbourne fan. I joined him and some of his mates. Believe it or not, I was actually going to watch this game on television on a cold and wet Friday night. A big group of Geelong fans from sleepy hollow and the big smoke were all in until the city's fickle weather really showed just how fairweather some fans are. Most of the people who were going to come along to watch the game with me had the flu, pulled a heart muscle or were overseas (I'm looking at those in The Mother Country). Also, not to make the trip was The Other KL and Biff Morton. I originally told the latter pair that I would be joining them on the sidelines until Four Example basically called me a wimp. I accept that. The J-Man rocked past my desk on and it was agreed I would join him and his friends to drink after work for copious amounts of expensive mid-strength beer as we braved the arctic conditions in the upper throes of Australia's largest stadium. It might have been worth it had Geelong won but that was too much to ask. I briefly considered chopping up my membership ticket. Final score in that one was Melbourne 13.9 (87) to Geelong 11.15 (81). Some say it was a cliffhanger. I say it was a heartbreaker. Yes, another one and wearing my Geelong jumper didn't have any positive effect. I wasn't feeling confident about this one right from the get-go.

But there was fun to be had the following week against St Kilda in the splendour of the esteemed broadsheet's corporate box. I'll tell you about it ... soon! That's if I have any readers left. Again, sorry for the delay. I waited until I could post some pictures (thanks to the Paraletic Paramedic).

Normal transmission has now resumed.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    as an Essendon supporter I am in no position to comment on football!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home