The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Saturday, August 12, 2006

The electorate demanded answers ...

Something new? Having too much fun? I don't know. I'm finding it's hard to write without using pictures from current events and having to work for a living, while many people I know are globetrotting around the world, despite terrorism showing its ugly face again. So to illustrate this dispatch, I'm using some images I secured from Cousin Slugg who's in town for a couple of weeks. The pictures are from the missing disc of cruising around America's west coast. Thumbs up to that, because like Nevada, JB has vision, all 28 years of it!

So what's been happening?

I had a major win last week, getting two stories about visiting various baseball stadiums published in the esteemed broadsheet. There is a main piece of about 1500 words and a breakout of around 250 words. It was such a huge thrill and - combined with my name in big, bold letters - I also got a picture byline for the first time. Maybe I could become a full-time travel writer, jaunting off to various parts of the planet and get paid! I'm going to try and recall a few stories from last year's adventures and see how it goes.

I just got my hair cut today - look out ladies - and I'm about to hit up the gym before heading to Melbourne for the first of my two housesitting gigs. It's one year ago today (August 12) since Rivjuando and Soule Sista got married and I'm looking after Murfuoso's awesome apartment as he's getting hitched on Wednesday to The Jeweller in Central Park, New York. Congratulations to both couples for these important milestones.

Then I'm housesitting for Houston, Texas in Carlton North, Victoria from next Sunday. It gives me a chance to immerse myself in Melbourne culture and escape Sleepy Hollow for a while. Geelong, the football team, continues to deflate and disappoint, but like many of the baseball fans I wrote about last week, I still go back for more. Tomorrow, a group of like-minded Geelong supporters - there may also be a Sainter in the mix - will go to Telstra Dome, which might provide some picture opportunities at least. It could also be the end of the season as I know it.

Other general musings: I filled up the work car (not the hire car, as pictured) with unleaded today at $1.38.9 per litre. Multiply that figure by 71 litres (I'm surprised I didn't have to flag down passing motorists a la Gary Ablett Junior a few weeks back) and you have a hell of a lot of money. Glad it wasn't me paying ... I'm really loving the new Billy Talent CD. Unfortunate title (Billy Talent II, which followed their debut CD, titled Billy Talent, duh) but a great sound ... On the topic of music, I'm thinking of making a mixtape, like Rivjuando and I did back in the day, and calling it Blog It: Songs Of The Moment, Volume 1. It will be a classic ... My diet has gone south and subsequently my weight is travelling to the northern reaches. Hence the gym, although my membership there runs out on Monday ... Work is going pretty well at the moment, I seemingly have a bit of direction, until February at least. I hope it won't take me that long to update my blog. But until next time ...

11 Comments:

  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Geelong sucks... The football team not the town!!!

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    About time you updated. Congrats on the travel piece. Hope you are enjoying the housesitting duties. So did Geelong FC win this weekend?

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger m said…

    Gotta get down there sometime. Have met some very nice Aussies and Kiwis in the last year. Good people generally. Seems like my kind of place. Gas is spendy here as well. Almost $3.00 a gallon. Doesn't help much with British Petroleum closing down one of the largest fields in Alaska for pipeline repairs.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Susie Bate said…

    I think mix tapes rock. Hope you've been reading High Fidelity for some good tips...

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marcus, here in California - $3.42 a gallon.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    California?

    Could it be who I think it is?

    Alan Didak's girlfriend is so hot! She was on the cover of the Herald Sun the other day with her boyfriend after the pair apparently got in a verbal altercation at some A-list nightclub!

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Congrats on the features. I think you should become a fulltime travel writer...you are pretty good at taking long vacations.

     
  • At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did not know Cousin Slugg was back in Gee-town. I texted him last week when in London to see if he wanted a beer and no luck, no I know why!

    Stop going to the gym or I'll stop standing next to you.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger m said…

    Congrats on the recent publications. Hard work pays off eventually. Nice pic of you in front of the Carl's Jr....err..."Welcome to Nevada" sign.

     
  • At 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yep i got in a fight with my GF Cassie at the boutique nightclub in prahran... i'm too good for her.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Jay Bee said…

    Thanks M-Dogg. I've got one of California I'll post up here in due time. I have none of Oregon sadly though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home