The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Monday, July 17, 2006

Where to start? Well, the truth would be good ...

Another extended weekend of JB is almost in the books and this one would rate pretty highly in the history of all-time good weekends. Sounds a bit far-fetched? So, what happened? Well, below is the (edited) transcript.

Thursday: After work, I catch up with the now not-so anonymous Starbate for a couple of drinks at Cookie. It turns out she's from Adelaide and we have some mutual friends. Knowing that she's been known to check out the blog on a few occasions, I'll just say that apart from her avid support of the Port Adelaide Football Club, she's a great person, having a great taste in beer (we each had a Cooper's Pale Ale) and music. On that topic, we picked up one of her friends from the airport after Cookie and then went to the Northcote Social Club to see Angie Hart, formerly of Frente, and D. Rogers. Yes, D. Rogers of The Life And Times Of JB "The song of the moment" fame! Even though we arrived a tad late, he played said song of the moment "Pulling Up Stumps" (which has since been replaced) and his own rendition of Jay-Z's "99 Problems". I love it when singer/songwriters go gangsta. Think of when Ben Folds met Dr Dre in Portland last year. We meet D.Rogers afterwards and it turns out he's a Geelong lad who follows the Cats and is playing in Sleepy Hollow next month. Can it get any better? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it can. Read on.

Friday: Nutritionists probably don't recommend it, but I started the day with a mixed kebab on Turkish bread as I made my way via tram to meet The Truth for The Interview. We converged on an inner-city hotel to meet two members of one of my favourite bands of all-time, Death Cab For Cutie. I'm not going to tell the story again about how I got into them, you can just read about it here. So we spoke with lead singer/guitarist Ben Gibbard and bassist Nick Harmer for almost 45 minutes about a variety of things, including blogging, for an interview to go on the esteemed broadsheet's website this week. Still on a massive high, I killed the time between 3pm and 7pm, drinking coffee, reading and buying four CDs for $15 from Missing Link. Turned out that Death Cab's guitarist, Chris, produced two of them (Travis Morrison's "Travistan" and "The PEEFs" by The Revolutionary Hydra). I informed him of this at an inner-city bar after an awesome concert (even though we missed the first six songs) and after The Truth and I went backstage. Backstage! There, we chatted with Chris as he drank tequila from a paper cup, not to be confused with "Champagne From A Paper Cup", one of the band's early songs. I asked him what it's like living in Portland, what he's listening to at the moment and when his solo album is coming out, all the time trying very hard not to blur the line between fan and stalker.

Saturday: It might have been that Seattle's finest were in town, because Melbourne's weather was similar to that of the Pacific Northwest as I made my way back to Geelong, getting on the train with two minutes to spare. I enjoyed a quiet day in, watching various football codes (Manly won) whilst partaking in pumpkin soup and other homemade treats. I can't recharge a drained wallet but I do my best to rest up.

Sunday: Geelong disconnect the Power of Port Adelaide at Kardinia Park. Just as well Starbate and company didn't make their way down the highway. Poppa Blog comes through again with the tomato soup and the Cats scratch and claw their way to a hard-earned victory in front of 19,149 interested onlookers. I think I see The Captain and Mrs Watson in the crowd, but I can't be sure and I don't want to embarrass myself. Later, I catch up with Cousin Davis for pizza at Armando's and then we watch a DVD. Cousin Slugg calls home from London and as always, he's excited.

Now: I'm here at home in my pyjamas, getting ready to go to the gym. It's 1.23pm. Where are you? More importantly, are you still reading?

3 Comments:

  • At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A weekend to remember!

    Good game by the CATS, only in the sense that we got the points. The boys from Geelong should be watching the Wallabies after their magnificent win on the weekend.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Frente? Isn't that the chick with the hair so orange she could pass for a piece of citrus fruit?

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's a fineline between pleasure and pain and a fineline between stalker and fan!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home