The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Black power (part two) ...

Don't let my smiling face or the humorous attempt at Action Man Figurine's reverse pose fool you, Let's just say from the outset that I'm peeved!

Woke up this morning to see the esteemed broadsheet's special four-page liftout supposedly listing all the 9500 competitors who ran on Sunday. My name - one that features almost daily on the newspaper's pages - didn't appear and neither did my finishing time or final placing. I have a bad feeling it's not going to appear on the race website either later today.

Competitor 5263 - the District Attorney - finished in 2753rd position with a respectable time of 61 minutes and 27.08 seconds for the 10 kilometre race and I finished just after him so it's safe to say I beat last year's time of 64 minutes and 4.04 seconds for 3154th position by a considerable margin. It would have been nice to have an accurate comparison, however. Next year, I'm aiming to beat an hour and if I wore a watch this time I think we could have done it pretty easily. At the moment, I'm feeling quite good. Must have been the tights, which I have spared you in these photos, although the DA boosted traffic to this here blog by 16.8 per cent yesterday alone. True story. AP also did pretty well in the five kilometre race. Ms 9882 finished in 625th position with a time of 28 minutes and 32.55 seconds.










Overall, as you can tell by the pictures, it was a fun day. The DA and myself stayed to sign autographs afterwards for anyone who wanted them, taking the seats of St Kilda players Aaron Hamill and Nick Riewoldt who just looked so happy to be there as per their contractual obligations.

The day didn't end there, it's just the photograph opportunities did. The Elliott Smith tribute show - the first gig I ever went to on my own - later that evening was awesome. I enjoyed the passion of all of the musicians who did justice to the timeless songs they performed. I caught up with awesome Melbourne singer/songwriter Emma Heeney after the show and applauded her rendition of "Everything Means Nothing To Me" over a beer at the bar. I also saw two members of Hueco, Symon and Julian, both who I know from my days covering the County Court. No, they're not criminals, but rather were judge's associates back in the day and have now have taken a break from their careers in the law and justice field to see whether their music will take them into another interesting livelihood. I asked them to put their version of "Speed Trials", complete with the electric drums and guitar and cello (courtesy of B) on their upcoming CD. Hopefully, my somewhat inebriated request won't fall on deaf ears. They (not my ears) have a website, but it seems to be down at the moment.

I had a few beers with them after the show (along with this drunk Canadian chick who was quite annoying despite her fine taste in music) before Symon, his girlfriend and Julian came to a work colleague's establishment, Ilk Bar in Collingwood, with me to watch the World Cup match between Australia and Brazil. Alas, the Socceroos lost 2-0 and I got "home" to my housesit in Richmond at 4.30am, sleeping through to 4.30pm. Just as well I'm on holidays, but sadly that ends tomorrow.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elliott Smith is quite the man of the mo' listening to XO through headphones at work right now...

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YOU BOTH LOOKED STUNNED. AND I AM NOT EVEN SURE IF YOU HAVE RUN THE RACE YET. I SUGGEST A TIMELY INVESTMENT IN AN EXERCISE BIKE...THIS MAY JUST ASSIST WITH MUSCLE GROWTH.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home