The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Don't pick the wRONg one ...










Ron Sexsmith versus Ron Burgundy. Yes, it's a tantalising contest, I know, like Sydney versus West Coast. And while I would normally say the Anchorman (pictured above right with a fiery jazz flute) would win hands down, I was blown away last night at the Corner Hotel in Richmond by the other Ron. Last name: Sexsmith. The District Attorney joined me out of chambers for a few drinks and to listen to this cherubic singer-songwriter and pretty awesome guitarist from Toronto. Truth be told, I only own one of his albums, Retriever, so I was a bit unsure of what to expect. But it was great to hear many new songs for the first time. I'll be sure to go out and add more of his music, including his new album, Time Being, to the 7054 tracks I already have on my iPod.

An eclectic mix of people attended last night as well. Ron Burgundy might have cleared his throat when he said diversity was an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era. On that topic, never have I witnessed a more diverse gig at the Corner. The DA and yours truly could have been the youngest people there! A great night.

Another great night was had last Friday evening. Rogan Josh ventured from Geelong while Benson Hedges (who really smokes Peter Jackson but that's another point entirely) travelled from the Goulburn Valley to join Murfuoso and myself to see The Living End at The Palace in St Kilda. Last time I visited that venue we were joined by Molly, Bert and a few friends, including Murfuoso who got us upstairs for drinks with the band despite having drunk more than enough by then. Roll on!

5 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not since Hanson has the DA expressed such intent to familiarise himself better with the vicinity of the stage. If it were not of course for the cute red dress standing aside. Ron's two (he only needs two) rock star poses underscore his self-effacing musical talent.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Jay Bee said…

    I can't believe you:
    (A) saw Hanson
    (B) ... and admitted to it
    JB

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Susie Bate said…

    Ah, but you missed D.Rogers...

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, dude, I indulgently included our hanging out with the Living End post-show in the Sticky Carpet column in tomorrow's EG. Check it out, yo.

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, Ron, there are literally thousands of men that I should be with instead, but I am 72 percent sure that I love you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home