The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hoping for heaven in 2007 ...

It's been that sort of year. I'm not going to talk about the season that was meant to be. As for Saturday's game, well, you can just read about it. I will say, however, that I had a good day, travelling down the freeway - I'm like so Melbourne now - with The J-Man from an earlier post. He's the one holding the sign that says "Ball" in this picture if you didn't guess. Before the match, we had fish and chips before watching the game from the seats normally occupied by Poppa Blog and myself. P-Blog, as he likes to be known, missed his first game at K-Park for the year and the other season seat holders were probably wondering what the hell I was doing inviting an opposition supporter along. Especially in the first half.











Indeed, it was a game of two halves. Melbourne had demonised Geelong, but then we moved up to the terraces at the main break and everything changed. The J-Man caught up with his family and I saw The Real K-Lenko (pictured with JB, above right) and his girl. All that was sour turned sweet. Steve Johnson was sublime and Nathan Ablett showed his potential. Even Tom Lonergan found form until he got crunched, later losing his kidney and put into a coma. Geelong's season, which had been on life-support for much of the year, was also over when the siren sounded. The draw with the Demons (pictured so eloquently by yours truly, above left) put paid to a promising season. Time of death? 4.45pm.

With this posting and that season in the books, here are some other sweeping dispatches: I'm trying to put the best tracks from Death Cab For Cutie on one CD. Any suggestions? On the topic of music, the sampler CD of great tracks proposed in the last post is neatly coming along and I've even changed The Song Of The Moment ... My Carlton North Experience is also going well, although I'm spending money like it's going out of fashion on you know what. I'm worried that my weight will soon balloon like Shawn Kemp so it's back to the binge drinker's diet of rocket salad this week for me. On a serious note, this is my fourth day without a drop of the precious amber fluid after a huge week. So what happened? Wednesday - Tapas and countless beers with Geezer. Bedtime: 1.30am ... Thursday - Dinner and drinks with my law-abiding colleagues here at the esteemed broadsheet. Bedtime: 2.15am ... Friday - Geezer put on one of his illustrious yet infamous dinner parties right next door in North Fitzroy where he invited people who basically didn't know each other and a great time was had. Bedtime: 3.15am ... Saturday - Footy then "a corporate box" at The Arena to watch the Geelong Supercats beat the Canberra Gunners in a grand final of some description. Beers consumed and spirits smuggled in (juvenile, I know) before heading out in G-Town. Geezer just happened to be there. Bedtime: 3.15am ... Sunday - Recovery, but not before I returned to Melbourne with Geezer and his rugby-playing, beer-swilling cohorts.

I know, there are some general themes developing.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    will you be taking requests for the track collections???

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow... and I thought I've been on it alot! Geezer does like the odd jar, doesn't he?

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Jay Bee said…

    Responses to a pair of questions here:

    1. Requests for awesome DCFC tracks? Absolutely!

    2. If the Geezer does like the odd jar, then it's up to me to have the evens. Here's a question for you - which Collingwood player's name will you use next?

    And this for KL via e-mail today: "About time my mug graced the monitors of all your loyal followers. Thought my hair was looking better than portrayed in that photo......DAMN!!!!"

    Ah, the kids of today!

    JB

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, thanks for the text, Beezy. I'm back Sunday morning just in time to see the pies roll the dogs!

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger the captain said…

    Perhaps we'll next see a comment from "Collingwood's shattered finals dream", or "Alan Didak's inflated sense of self-importance".

    Or perhaps "Ryan Lonie's heart"; people must be getting worried, its been missing for a while now.

    I think I'm enjoying this, how about "Sav Rocca's less talented brother" or "Tarkyn Lockyer's 4 IQ points"?

    Cheer up Magpie fans, its not as if your best player is 35 years old, injury prone, and 'not enjoying the game as much'... oh...

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think fellow Pie fans should console themselves by comparing our great club to the rotten entity that is the Geelong Football Club. The thing I've always loved about Sam Newman - in spite of his somewhat unhinged persona these days - is his ability to tell the truth about Geelong. The coach is a joke; on most days their players couldn't care less; their forward line - particularly kent kingsley - is an embarrassment; and the organisation itself is a rabble. Frank Costa clapped in Eddie's face during our 2003 Grand Final loss (pity Geelong can't even get the opportunity to choke in grand finals any more, they were so good at that in the 1980s and 1990s) then tried to cosy up and broker a deal with us to try and make money off our supporter base. That worked out well, didnt it? My favorite moment this season was when we smashed Geelong by over 100 points and made a few hundred grand in the process. Why do other supporters hate us so much? Because we'll always have more money, more members, more success, more flags and more fun. They hate Eddie Everywhere because he's the best President in the league. Bring on the hate, we feed off it. Captain, my misguided friend, Bucks may be on his last legs but I'd take him at 39 years of age above Cameron "Turnovers" Ling or, ahem, James Kelly any day of the week.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home