The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Picking the trifecta - beer, babes and betting ...

He could quite possibly have been the biggest jockey in the history of the sport of kings. And had Neil Steel jumped on the back of one of the horses at Emirates Stakes Day yesterday at Fabulous Flemington, who knows what would have happened. What did occur (or what I can remember anyway) was an awesome day. I'll say from the outset that KL would have lamented being a late scratching. The day started at 11am and finished - for me anyway - at 1am this morning. So? What happened?

Well, around 30 men met at the Carlton Central in Geelong (confusing, I know) and got on the bus to the big smoke for the buck's party of Neil Steel. I've known the guy since our teenage years but in recent times Rogan Josh has also become great mates with him, mainly through their love for shooting and four-wheel driving. They also work at the big lion.

I'm happy to report that we were all well behaved. Sort of. Rogan Josh was disappointed to pick the winner of race 3, only to arrive at the TAB just seconds after the horses had bolted. But it was a pretty good day for younger bro considering he lost his new phone - probably through the hole in the left pocket of the slacks I lent him - only to have one honest punter call my mobile and return said Nokia back to its rightful and relieved owner. He's in the background speaking as the Rayman and yours truly pose for one of many picture opportunities.

It might have been an omen, but I picked the winner of race 4 which virtually paid for the day. While the beard I have grown during my holiday resembles more of a five-day shadow, the winner of that race - Five O'Clock Shadow - helped me collect $115 that allowed the drinking to continue.

Apart from the buck's party, I caught up with a couple of people from the esteemed broadsheet, including Geezer, who has made several appearances - from both here and abroad - on the blog. Unfortunately for him, he had to go to work after race 7, so apart from not being able to have too many drinks, he also had to put up with a tired and emotional yours truly who was definitely roasting in the afternoon sun and buzzing, especially after also picking the winner of race 5, Magnus. Again, another tidy little earner of around $35.

Not surprisingly, the group were denied entry into a Maribyrnong pub after the races, so instead we went down by the banks of the river of the same name nearby and had a few more beers. For a sum of $70, Big Tone swam a couple of laps of the river and lived to tell the tale. I think. Sadly, my camera died at this point. You'll just have to believe me.

A couple of my older married mates - Hilly and Grassy Knoll caught the train up from Geelong and it was good to catch up with them before the bus ride home where I feel asleep against my better judgment. Not that anything happened, it's just generally not a good idea to get a kip with a group of inebriated mates. I couldn't have been too tired though, as I walked about seven kilometres home from Geelong in the early hours of this morning in a futile search for a late-night snack. Kardinia Park was open, so I went in and had a look around. On the subject of the Cats, I saw The Future yesterday. Like many, he looked to be having a good time.

Apart from yesterday, it was a fairly uneventful week. I finished my photo album of my California trip today. It was looking at my trip that I began pondering the lack of material for the blog as of late and thinking that I needed to travel again in order to have many more stories to share with all of you. Hopefully, yesterday's assorted tales will keep everyone entertained. And perhaps even amused.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like a Hoot JB you big punter you!

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow A Jester - silky pants and jingly bells...My my the ladies would have been entranced by your presence and your shimmering colours.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This young jockey was promising - however his consumption of alcohol on the day of this special family event prevented him from riding the horse and thus was eliminated. We regretfully announce that the horse he was intended to ride "Mis Silk" trudged back to her stable and drowned her sorrows in the hay.

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger m said…

    In Alaska we don't really have horse racing events like that. We do have dog-racing in the winter, though. The Iditarod is a world-famous dog race that covers hundreds of miles of barren wilderness from Anchorage to Nome. It's popular for people to line the streets of downtown Anchorage and frequent the bars on the start day. I'm not sure on the betting around this race, but I'd imagine that it exists.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WHAT A HUGE TONGUE. & SMALL NOSTRILS. WHITE TEETH & QUITE INTRIGUING FACIAL HAIR. GOOD DRINK CHOICES MR. JB. IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE CALLING YOURSELF THESE DAYS? ACCORDING TO "this here blog" IT IS. OUT.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home