The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Music is the soundtrack to life ...

OK, so Blog It: Songs Of The Moment, Volume 1 never quite made the printing presses. But that doesn't mean that the second 20-track instalment, which was marked earlier this week with the addition of Modest Mouse's "Spitting Venom" - a perfect finale to an imaginary album spanning over eight minutes - to the honour roll can't go ahead. Yes, a long sentence.

The decisive list is below, which means I can make Silversun Pickups the only band to get Song Of The Moment twice - a rare feat. I can't get their song "Third Seed" out of my head or their album "Carnavas" off my iPod. Which leads to the question: sould a song or an album be in italics or just "inverted commas". But without further adieu, here's number two:

21. "Hands Of Time" by Ron Sexsmith (September 28, 2006)
22. "Heart Design" by Aqueduct (October 3, 2006)
23. "Human Beings" by Maritime (October 14, 2006)
24. "The Adventure" by Angels And Airwaves (October 22, 2006)
25. "Of Montreal" by The Stills (November 3, 2006)
26. "Blue Bird" by The Rosebuds (November 12, 2006)
27. "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" by Brand New (November 18, 2006)
28. "I Almost Forgot" by Matthew Sweet (December 5, 2006)
29. "Bandits" by Midlake (December 16, 2006)
30. "Bad Diary Days" by Pedro The Lion (December 24, 2006)
31. "The Upper Peninsula" by Sufjan Stevens (January 9, 2007)
32. "It's Not Your Fault" by New Found Glory (January 24, 2007)
33. "Welcome To The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance (February 4, 2007)
34. "Living So Well" by The Crayon Fields (February 14, 2007)
35. "Vibrations In Air" by Josh Pyke (February 28, 2007)
36. "The (After) Life Of The Party" by Fall Out Boy (March 13, 2007)
37. "Walk Into The Sea" by Low (March 28, 2007)
38. "Hell Yes" by Alkaline Trio (April 8, 2007)
39. "Lazy Eye" by Silversun Pickups (April 11, 2007)
40. "Spitting Venom" by Modest Mouse (April 28, 2007)

It's funny how these songs remind me of specific times over the past six months or so. I was living so well when a girl introduced me to number 34 and then she gave me the album to which number 35 resided. But after dealing with her I feel like number 40. Numbers 21, 24, 29 and 33 came around the time I saw those respective bands live. Number 37 was when I was driving around Hawaii's Big Island and could literally walk into the sea while number 39 reminds me of the Florida road trip with the Murf Man when the iPod iTrip failed me, meaning we were stuck listening to his CDs. Not a bad thing, mind you, devouring what the critics are listening to. In between that, I found number 38 at a record store in San Francisco when I heard that band's familiar sound blast out of the speakers and bought the album when the girl at the checkout confirmed my best suspicions. I also bought "Carnavas" for Murf, hence why I'm listening to Silversun Pickups now.

And on the topic of great music, Murf Man and The Jeweller met Cousin Davis last night at Vodafone Arena for the Dave Matthews Band show, an epic show lasting more than two-an-a-half hours. More for another post. To make things more interesting we bumped into Starbate who went with the Ziffbomb, another esteemed member of the esteemed broadsheet. And then an old primary school friend, Black Dog, walked past and we had a chat. The lady who hooked up us with the tickets was also in this wonderful mix. You just had to be there, I guess. It wasn't a fusion of east and west, but some my of Melbourne friends meeting the gang from Geelong. I sometimes feel like I have a double life.

DMB would be a viable choice for "Song Of The Moment" but they are against some stiff competition. Anyway, to quote Todd Vaden Lewis, frontman for Burden Brothers, a band who has narrowly missed out on such status for the past month: "Always have a good time, all of the time."

2 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Upon reading your final remark, I feel prompted to say: "They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time."

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brian, that doesn't make sense.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home