The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Ça fait un peu boui-boui, mais il y a de la jolie moisissure ...

Welcome! Or is that bienvenue? It's been a long time between drinks here on the blog. Pardon.

Where to begin? I'll start at an Internet cafe in Montreal where I arrived a few hours ago. People here prefer to speak French rather than English and I am trying to get used to a real foreign experience - attempting to understand some people who have trouble understanding me. That sounds familiar. Another phrase, "Pardon, mais je ne parle pas français", will most definitely be used for the two days I am here as I quickly recall some of those phrases learnt in Year 8 French class all those years ago.

The above phrase ("It's a bit of a dive, but it has some nice mould") applied to the four nights I spent in Toronto, in particular at the Global. The place had a distinctive odour, was a bit messy and thongs were mandatory in the shower.

Overall, a good attitude was required for my international hostel debut, but I knew someone was looking down on me as soon as I walked through the door. The Postal Service album was in the CD player and as my mate Rivjuando said: "How bad can a hostel be if they are playing that?"

I met some great people from all over this wonderful world. The festivities started on Wednesday with a party and I stayed out until 3am. If London has a lot of Aussies there, then Toronto comes very close. I had a few beers with one Aussie who wasn't acting like a wanker, a bright spark studying aeronautical engineering at Oxford. He should add Advanced Beer Drinking 101 to that impressive CV.

On Thursday, a new Irish friend accompanied me to see my Seattle Mariners lose to the hometown Blue Jays. The stadium, formerly (but still affectionately) known as the SkyDome was the first retractable roof stadium built, more than a decade before the Telstra Dome in Melbourne opened for business.

My colleague and former housemate, the District Attorney met me in Toronto on Friday and we travelled up the CN Tower, which is apparently the world's tallest building at 553 metres. Their website even says so. It's a great feeling having a beer while sitting on top of the world. On Saturday, we took a tour to Niagara Falls before heading out with a couple of lovely lasses from England and Canada respectively. It was an awesome day.

Yesterday, we went to the Hockey Hall Of Fame, walked extensively around the downtown area and saw Wedding Crashers before embarking on the eight-hour journey, arriving around 8am local time. The trip was surprisingly smooth and I was able to get some leg room and a few naps in between.

I look forward to posting some pictures here at JB HQ when I can, but for now, I'm going to go and buy a French dictionary. Au revoir!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tell the "DA" that I said hello and I hope you both enjoy Canada - my other home. I have been to the SkyDome - I ate lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe there when I was last in town. Toronto is oK - nothing speccy about it. Look forward to more stories JB - take care.

    love kass

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mate, good to here that your having fun with the locals. As for the hostel, you get some iffy ones, but the next will be better.

    As for the footy, those bloodly cats are a bunch of w*&%^:rs!! Losing to the Dogs!! DA would love that.

    When will we be getting the 'real' travel stories by the way???

    Later
    Slugg

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jamie,
    Josh and I are at the computer labs at deakin and we thought that we would write to say hello. Sounds like you're having lots of fun, keep it up ! : ) It's yucky and cold here so I hope you are enjoying the warmth
    - thinking of you
    love kirsten

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey bro howz things? It's good to hear everything is going well sorry i keep missing your calls. I am just down at the computer lab ripping off the uni, still waiting for the net to be hooked up -dad says within 10 day but he said that 5 days ago! Just thought I would drop your a quick line we are all enjoying your stories. Stay safe bro have fun.
    Sumyoung says, "GO COUGARS"

    love your bro
    Josh

     

Post a Comment

<< Home