The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Monday, January 08, 2007

Here, cowboy bars and dance clubs don't exist ...










And to think life was getting boring. Remember when I met legendary singer-songwriter, John Vanderslice, in a Seattle record store in September 2005? Maybe the picture, above left, will refresh your memory. Well, I got to see the great man open for The Mountain Goats at the Corner Hotel last Friday. As you can see, above right, he's changed a fair bit since then. As for me, well, I look pretty much the same. I hasten to add that both the shirts I'm wearing were purchased in the Emerald City.

I flew solo to the gig, but caught up with Starbate there. She was impressed with JV, who was in turn impressed with my employer, the esteemed broadsheet, calling the newspaper the best in Australia. I was just impressed to hear him again, although he -again - declined my request to play "Me And My 424". JV told JB later it was just too hard to perform live by himself, but he was happy to sign another album for me. As you can see, I'm now the proud owner of two personally signed CDs from JV.

JV was also impressed by the interview he had with Murfuoso, my mate who wrote an awesome story, perhaps on my persistent insistence that the paper give some serious ink to an unknown and underrated muso. Murfuoso, hosting a party for his American sister-in-law, was unable to attend the show, but I went from the party to the gig and back to the party again, which stopped a couple of hours before the break of dawn but after the consumption of many gin and tonics.

It was the start of a big weekend and the beginning of my final week off before I return back to work. On Saturday, I attended a farewell party for the Rayman (pictured right) who heads back to Scotland in less than a week's time. My New Year's Resolution of trying to maintain an optimum level of health and fitness meant I abstained from beer - as I have since January 1 - which could have helped me compete in the Rip To River yesterday morning, had I just got to bed a little earlier. A gale force wind persisted for most of the arduous 10-kilometre run along the beach from Point Lonsdale to Ocean Grove, home of the District Attorney. According to the local tabloid, his time was 65 minutes and 21 seconds, much better than my time of 71 minutes and 6 seconds, good enough for 116th position. That's the positive spin. The reality, however, is that I only beat three other guys in my age group. A rusty start to the year but in all honesty, I was happy enough to not stop yesterday and continue with my Cliff Young shuffle as the conditions, which also included driving rain at one point, were truly awful, but apparently much better than last year's stifling heat. Be thankful for small mercies.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home