The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Friday, March 16, 2007

Aloha and mahalo from Hawaii ...

Believe me, there's plenty of material from JB's three days in Hawaii. In short, I arrived here very early Tuesday morning, courtesy of Jetstar. More about them and their friendly staff later. I walked up-and-down Waikiki Beach before having a few beers overlooking the same stretch of sand. Then I went back to the hostel nearby where I met my roommate, a Texan named James. Consequently, we went back to the same bar that I ventured into earlier that day and drank, wait for it - Steinlager - before the barmaid joined us in having tequila shots. That's where my night went a bit hazy. I remember stumbling home around 3am. As Tenacious D's Jack Black would say: "Off to a bad start."

On Wednesday, Texan James and myself bumped into a couple of air hostesses who were on my flight and, in short, we hung out for most of the day, catching some rays on the beach but not daring to open the six-pack of Coronas I had bought from the ABC Store - no, not the national broadcaster - and risk a $US500 fine. I got a picture with Hawaii Five-O but they are a money grabbing organisation. Apparently the fine for jaywalking is around $US400. So we went down the other end of the beach to the aptly named Sand Bar and had a few drinks. After Texan James left, the girls and I tried to recreate the Jetstar starfish pose, similar to the television commercial, but without luck. Then we went out for dinner before they had to go, a very early night denying them the chance to hang out with me, JB, for another big night on the town. Despite missing out on going to Diamond Head or the North Shore in a hire car, it was well worth it in this humble man's opinion.

I did Pearl Harbor today as I figured I'd cop a bit of grief from Poppa Blog had I not gone. The overnight rain must have scared many away, as there is always, apparently, a long line to get in from very early in the morning. But when I arrived I just walked right in. It's hard to get excited about a war memorial. I mean, more than 2000 people died on December 7, 1941. It was very enlightening though. Never mind the fact that I'm smiling in this picture.

It seemed like I spent all day on the bus, going from Pearl Harbor to possibly the worst sporting arena of all time, Aloha Stadium, where the NFL plays their Pro Bowl every year. I know Montreal's Olympic Stadium might give it a run for it's money, but I'm not sure. The only reason I went was because it was very close to Pearl Harbor, but I shouldn't have even bothered! I had a look at downtown Honolulu before catching a shuttle bus back to the airport, which isn't that far from Pearl Harbor. Go figure.

So where to next? Well, I'm hoping to go on a tour of the volcanoes tomorrow before hiring a car and driving around the Big Island, as it is affectionately known. I'd love to get a game of golf in, although my playing partner, the defending Nedloh Cup holder isn't here, so maybe that will have to wait until next time. But I've had a great time already and hopefully you'll hear from me soon. Florida anyone?

And I just saw mouse run along the floor of this hostel in Hilo where I arrived this afternoon. But it's a pretty nice, albeit quiet, place. Even with me in town. Perhaps this little hamlet will give a brother a chance to have rest up for when I catch up with Murfuoso and the Captain in less than a week's time. Both have allegedly been on fire in Austin, Texas.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger carobert said…

    Yer on the travel again! Werd up from the long lost carobert. Hope all is well in your travels, sounds like you're having a good time. Talk to you soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home