The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Monday, March 19, 2007

Far from being a dead end ...

This picture here is quite symbolic, because a few days ago I literally thought I was going nowhere. Having just arrived in Hilo, I had no wheels and the car rental companies were giving me no love. But then I met Barry - my 2006 silver Buick Lacrosse CX for three days - and I have never looked back. I have made small work of the Big Island, but that doesn't diminish of what I have seen over a short period of time. Talk about a land of contrasts! One minute you could be overlooking rolling green hills into an expansive and deep blue ocean. Next thing you see is the brightest pink plant growing from a lava flow. Death Valley would take a beating but I'm sure the Big Island can live up to its name.

Life with Barry started on Friday afternoon and we travelled to the beautiful Akaka Falls on the way to Waipio. That's me at the lookout, above left. I managed to get there just before sunset before driving back to Hilo. On Saturday, I drove to Kona and was again mesmerised by what I saw on the way. Fortunately for me (and perhaps you) I only have 20 minutes left on the Internet - for today at least - so I'll spare you the details for now. I had a swim at Hapuna Beach State Park and I saw my name spelt out in white stones against the backdrop of a blackened lava flow. Breaking all blog convention, I'll just show you the picture. It's above right. I saw the sunset at Kona from my car in a traffic jam along the coastal road and I luckily secured accommodation in nearby Captain Cook.

I drove back to Hilo from Kona today via the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, which is another story in itself if time permits. Earlier today, I went to the lowest point in the United States. I always thought that was at Key West, which I hope to visit when I'm in Florida. It was so windy and I didn't want a repeat of Dover, so I made sure my Jordan bucket hat was closely fixed to my head. Next stop? Florida! It's just via Honolulu, Oakland and Nashville. Insert sad smiley face here.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice updates mate, counting down the days until I'm over there myself (26 sleeps to go!). Pity you didn't get any golf in but sounds like you've had heaps to keep yourself occupied.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Stephens said…

    It is not readily apparent, but there is a photo on my blog showing me sitting very near that same lava flowing over the road near the construction barrier. Did you get any strange sensations or sixth sense type feelings when you stood there, so close to the spot where the polish gypsy rested his bones?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home