The Life And Times Of JB

"I'm not an MC, I'm not a G, I mean I'm A to Z - and everything in between."

The song of the moment (December 14, 2007) is "Even If It Kills Me" by Motion City Soundtrack

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A September to remember (part one) ...

It wasn't that long ago, but I imagine I'll be talking about September 2007 for years to come. Indeed, it was an exciting time, as both my teams - Geelong and Manly - descended deep into their respective football finals. Expectations were high and a big Hawaiian holiday was also on the horizon. I was in my element housesitting for K-Beezer and Cameroon who were also in their element, galavanting around Europe for a month.

There is no photographic evidence that I attended the first week of Geelong's finals campaign with Poppa Blog (who is also overseas) to see our Cats bounce the Kangaroos from the MCG in front of a big crowd on a Sunday afternoon. So I made sure that, following the team's week off, that the Canon was in my pocket for what was the biggest game of football I have ever been to, the preliminary final between Geelong and Collingwood on a Friday night, with more than 98,000 in attendance.

The day started off well when the Murf Man invited me to the Hotel Spencer for a Chicken Parmagiana (I believe that dish deserved capital letters). There were a couple of guests: one was a fellow writer from the esteemed broadsheet, and like Murf, a fellow Pies fan. But to even up the Heath Ledger, the other lunch guest was Mark Wilson, bass player from the band Jet. Mr Wilson and yours truly have a few of things in common, like growing up and barracking for Geelong and even going to the same primary school. So there you go. It's a small world.

The only bad thing that occurred was the amount of beer I consumed over the course of the afternoon. Upon leaving the pub with a few Coopers Pale Ales above my belt, I went to see Rogan Josh at his new inner-city abode before going to another fine drinking establishment, and in turn, getting to the game just before the singing of the national anthem.

The dynamic duo of K-Lenko and C-Bas joined me. The latter, a Western Bulldogs fan, joined us because he actually wanted to watch some good teams play when it counts, in September. More beer was consumed and despite what I said earlier - that I drank too much, hence missing key parts of the game - it may have helped time lapse much faster and I did learn from it the following week. Before you could say "Collingwood suck", Geelong had won a game that they didn't deserve to by a small margin of just five points.

So there it was, Geelong was off to a grand final and following the match between Manly and North Queensland the night after, so were the Sea Eagles. And I got tickets to both matches. As I said, it certainly was an exciting time.

To be continued.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there, long time reader, first time commentator.

    Good to see that the blog still lives and that the tales of JB are still around to enthral and excite us all.

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats for your teams winnings JB
    YAWNNNNNN lets move on from football, no offence

     

Post a Comment

<< Home